The search engine Google, uses its PagerRank (PR) as a measure of the link popularly of a Website. If you have the Google tool bar installed on your browser, you can easily see the PR of any site you visit on the Web. You can download it at: http://toolbar.google.com. The PR of a site ranges from 0 to 10. The higher the number, the better. A grey PR bar means the site has not been indexed, been dropped or has been banned.
Why Pet Link Popularity
Search Engine builders, continuously research ways to make their search engine result pages (SERPs) relevant to users. Different methods have been employed to determine the most relevant pages. Methods such as keywords in title, keywords in metatags, keywords in filename, keywords in headings, keywords in links, keywords in content of pages, etc.
Webmasters have found ways to manipulate these, thereby improving their ranking in the Serps. The latest method is link popularity. Obtaining quality pet link exchanges from good Websites is not easy. A good pet Website will only link to you if there is some benefit to that site or that site's visitors. However, Webmasters have again found a way of beating this latest hurdle. They do this through reciprocal linking. I see search engines rejecting reciprocal linking in future because this is an artificial way of boosting link popularity. The only sure way for search engines to ascertain link popularity will have to be one way incoming links.
Do's And Don'ts Of Pet Link Exchange Site Linking
1. Don't do Exchanges linking with sites that spam. Your outgoing links to unethical sites could get you into trouble with search engines.
2. Don't link to FFA link farms. You might be penalized by the search engines.
3. Keep a close watch on your pet link exchange partners always. Link to relevant and complementary sites.
4. Obtain one-way incoming links when possible. It's the best. Use anchor text in links.
5. Most important of all, create good, original and unique content and one way incoming links will come naturally.
Pet Reciprocal Link Exchanges
Reciprocal linking is simply exchanging links with other webmasters in order to boost link popularity. It involves sending e-mails to webmasters of sites with relevant and complementary content.
Points To Note
Most sites do not have their contact email on their sites because of spammers or email harvester software. You can contact webmasters through their "contact us" form or use www.whois.com to obtain information on how to contact the webmaster. You can run your link popularity campaign through third parties such as LinkExchange.com but their prices seem a little bit on the high side. You can also use software such as Zeus and Arelis. These software apps automate most of the manual tasks that go into building link popularity. However, care must be taken when using them. One could be labeled a spammer, if they are used incorrectly.
One Way Incoming Linking
One way incoming links, are the best type of links to have for your site. They increase your PR and link popularity. They indicate to the search engines that your site is an authority on the keyword or keyword phrase used to link to you. However, incoming links are the most difficult to acquire. You can build your one way incoming links using the following strategies.
1. Build good quality websites or web pages with original, unique content. With great content, other webmasters will naturally refer visitors through links to your site.
2. Provide a free, useful service or tool on your site. For example, a link popularity check tool. This will bring repeat visitors and other webmasters will refer visitors to your site.
3. Give away something for free at your site. It could be a quality e-book, a useful program, software trial download, or a gift in exchange for links. You may give out the gifts after ascertaining that they have linked to your site. Some webmasters might bring down the links after collecting the gift, but many sites will still retain your links. Although you might not get many high PR sites linking to you, lots of low PR sites will still enhance your link popularity.
4. You can organize an award so that winners will link to you before claiming their prizes. Be sure to make your policy on this clear enough.
5. Pay to be listed in niche directories. Provide good topical articles on your site with links to your home page. Give permission to other webmasters to use at their sites.
To Cap It
As you go through the web, running your e-business everyday, you will discover that the most successful sites are those that give something away for free. Sites that are an authority in their segment of the market are those that provide useful content, or free tools, service, and/or software. Building such sites takes a lot of patience and perseverance, but, in the end, the reward is immense.So Good luck with your Pet Link Exchange requests.